The earliest record of trap shooting at West Chester, PA. Was done by a group, who although not as regular organization, called themselves the West Chester Gun Club. The daily local news reported on May 30, 1890 what they were to hold a shoot that afternoon at Isaac Thomas’ grove, Cottage Hill, North side of Paoli Pike where the West Goshen Township School is now located.
Another item in the daily local news dated February 17, 1891 that there is talk of organizing a gun club in West Chester and several of the best marksman have signified a desire of this provided a sufficient number of members can be secured. The club was formed later in the year.
The first recorded minutes of the club was held on June 8, 1894 and reported that the targets and traps have been secured. Also mention was made of moving the clubhouse, but no mention was made as to where this location was.
A meeting of the executive committee reported that Mr. McClenaghan and was contacted in reference to renting the grounds, but since no satisfaction as to price, the contracted Martin Darlington, who offered a parcel of ground just off of South New St. at $25 a year. This was excepted in the clubhouse was moved to the new location.
The meeting of March 2, 1898 it was voted to incorporate into West Chester Gun Club and Athletic Association and they proceeded to advertise in accordance with the laws.
On May 6, 1903 the directors reported that the club had secured a new location on the farm of David Windle, near Five Points School on the West Chester and Philadelphia trolley line. A one year lease with an option of five years and a fee of $50 per year.
Shooting continue to the early 1920s when skeet shooting took over and trap was a idle for a number of years.
The West Chester Skeet Club had a field near Goshenville on the Paoli Pike and were active until the middle 1930’s. The West Chester Gun Club move their traps on these grounds, but very little shooting was done.
On April 28, 1937 a number of the Trapshooters revived the old club, combined with the skeet club and rented a location on Boot Road, North of West Chester, which is the present location.
On April 9, 1945 At a special meeting it was decided to purchase the property as a permanent home from the Philadelphia electric power company.
The small club house burned down on May 28, 1956 and a much larger one with modern convenience was built.
View our Club History Photo Gallery – Photos that adorn the walls of the club house and from our archives.