Welcome to WCGC
The West Chester Gun Club and Athletic Association is a Trapshooting Club located in the heart of Chester County, PA. WCGC is one of the oldest clubs in the state, established in April 1898. We are celebrating our 125th Anniversary in 2023. We have four lighted trap fields able to throw single and double targets, and an archery range for your enjoyment.
WCGC is open to the public for trap practice and registered shoots. Archery access is members-only. We are an ATA Registered Trap Club and NRA member.
We are proud of our recent membership survey results, which show an extremely strong satisfaction rate and high praise for our friendly, welcoming atmosphere, great staff and well-maintained facilities and grounds.
What Our Members Say
“I’ve always felt welcomed by both the
staff and other shooters.”
A message from our President
On behalf of our members and the West Chester Gun Club Board, I’d like to welcome you to our Club. We are a group of trapshooters that share a common interest in the precision, discipline and competition that trapshooting demands.
The Club is welcoming, with a strong sense of camaraderie due to our shared interests. It’s a great place to build friendships.
We invite you to explore WCGC. Look around the site to learn more about the facilities, calendar of events and other activities that are available. We hope you visit soon, see what we have to offer, and then become a member.
Warm regards and safe shooting,
President, West Chester Gun Club
Membership is OPEN
Membership Includes the Whole Family
- Membership includes the card holder, spouse, children under the age of 18.
- Each family member is required to complete a Safety Check or lesson prior to shooting.
- Members in good standing after 1 year may vote in annual Club elections and run for office. One vote per family membership.
- Membership includes access to both Trap and Archery facilities. There is no separate archery-only membership.
- Members may rent our Browning BT-99 trap guns.
- Members can bring one guest to the Club per day. Guests must take a Safety Check on a Sunday before shooting at WCGC and will be charged the Non-Member rate for rounds of trap.
You must visit the club to join or renew your membership
Trap Pricing and Hours
- $5 per round of Singles or Handicap (25 targets)
- $10 per round of Doubles (50 targets)
Non-Members (including Member Guests):
- $10 per round of Singles or Handicap (25 targets)
- $20 per round of Doubles (50 targets)
- Tuesdays 3 – 7pm
- Sundays 10 – 3pm
- Check calendar for cancellations and conflicts
ATA Big 50 - $13.50
Ammo for Sale
- One 12-gauge 25-shell box available per round of trap purchased
- Market pricing
- Once you become a member of the West Chester Gun Club, no additional fees are required
- Club Membership is $100 per year [April 1 to March 31]
- The archery range is only open to members and their guests.
Non-Member Policy: Trap
- Non-Members MUST complete a Safey Check before shooting at WCGC.
- Safety Checks are offered Sundays except when special events are being held at the Club. Register at 11:30am.
- A Safety Check consists of shooting one 25-target round of supervised trap. To pass, the shooter must fully demonstrate proper trap safety, firearm handling and trap etiquette.
- If a shooter is not safe or knowledgeable about safety, firearm operation, Club rules or trap etiquette, the shooter will be required to take a Trapshooting Lesson or complete a second Safety Check at a later date after proper preparation.
- Non-Members must comply with all Range Rules including the allowable shotguns and ammo specified in the Range Rules.
- Non-Members must pay the Non-Member rate for each round of trap, even if accompanied by a WCGC Member.
- Non-Members are not allowed to rent or shoot WCGC rental guns.
- Non-Members must be legally able to possess and operate a firearm and not be a “Prohibited Person” as defined by Federal & State laws to shoot at this Club.
- Non-Members must sign a waiver before shooting for the first time at WCGC. The waiver can be signed at the front desk or printed and brought with you. Non-Members need only one waiver on file.
Guests Of Members Policy: Trap
WCGC encourages Members to bring Guests to our Club. The WCGC Member Guest Policy:
- WCGC Members are welcome to bring one guest per day.
- As of May 1, 2023, Guests of Members will be charged the Non-Member rate for rounds of trap.
- All Member Guests must sign a waiver and have it on file at WCGC.
- All Member Guests must complete a Safety Check. Safety Checks are held on Sundays only except when special events are being held at the Club. Register at 11:30am.
- If a Guest is an experienced trapshooter or member of another trap club, please ask the Club President, Vice President or Club Shooting Instructor to evaluate your need for a Safety Check.
- All Member Guests must comply with published Range Rules and Club Safety Policies, including allowable shotguns and ammo specified in the Range Rules.
Archery Guest Policy
The archery range is not open to the public. Members may bring one guest for up to two visits after the guest signs a Liability Waiver and it is on file at the Clubhouse.After two visits, your guests are expected to join the Club to support our Archery Program.
Let Us Host Your Next Event
From team building and networking to private parties, fundraisers or employee and customer appreciation, we offer an unforgettable experience for your next event. Trapshooting at WCGC is safe, fun and a unique way to bring your group together. We provide instruction so no prior experience is needed!
- Your group will have exclusive use of our Facility
- Up to 25 shooters
- Personalized Instruction will be provided
- All shooters will receive a Safety Briefing prior to shooting
- Clubhouse and Patio area are great for socializing and foodservice
- 13 Browning BT-99 trap guns available for use, including youth/women’s models
- Participants are welcome to bring their own shotguns if desired
Download our WCGC Event Guide for detailed event and pricing information.
Group & Private Event Fees
- Cost: $2,000 for the first 15 shooters.
- Down payment $500.00 to reserve date. Balance due day of the event
- Additional shooters: $110 per participant.
- Call the Club (610) 696-4577 or email Lessons@WestChesterGunClub.com
The earliest record of trap shooting in West Chester, Pennsylvania, was by a group who called themselves the West Chester Gun Club. On May 30, 1890, the Daily Local newspaper reported that the Club was to hold a shoot that afternoon at Isaac Thomas’ grove in Cottage Hill on the north side of Paoli Pike where the West Goshen Township School is now located.
On February 17, 1891, the Daily Local reported that there were discussions about organizing the group into an official gun club. After a sufficient number of members were recruited, the Club was formed in 1892.
The first recorded minutes of the Club are from June 8, 1894, reporting that targets and traps for the Club had been secured.
The Club signed a lease with Martin Darlington, who offered a parcel of ground just off of South New Street for $25 per year.
At the Club meeting on March 2, 1898, it was voted to incorporate into West Chester Gun Club and Athletic Association.On May 6, 1903, the directors reported that the Club had secured a new location on the farm of David Windle, near Five Points School on the West Chester and Philadelphia trolley line. A one-year lease with an option of five years was agreed to for a fee of $50 per year.
West Chester Gun Club Trapshooting continued into the early 1920’s when skeet shooting took over and trap became idle for a number of years.
On April 28, 1937, a number of trapshooters revived the old Club, combining with the skeet club and renting our current location on East Boot Road, north of West Chester.
On April 9, 1945, it was decided to purchase the rental property from the Philadelphia Electric Power Company as the Club’s permanent home.
The West Chester Gun Club has continued to grow and evolve since then, now counting 400+ members. We appreciate all of those who have contributed to the continuing story and health of our club.View Our Club History Photo Gallery
Yes. WCGC is open to the public during regularly scheduled trap practice and our ATA registered shoots.
Non-Members, including guests of WCGC Members, must:
- First, sign a waiver at the Clubhouse
- Take a Safety Check on Sundays (register at 11:30am) before shooting at WCGC
- Bring their own shotgun. Allowable shotguns are specified in the Range Rules.
- Abide by all Club and Safety Rules
If a Non-Member has no clay shooting experience, a Trap Lesson at WCGC is required before shooting with us.
Use of the archery range is limited to members and their guests.